Thursday, April 16, 2009

Texas - miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles

We left the Los Angeles area at 5 am on Monday and headed for Phoenix to visit with Boyd's sister. We spent the afternoon there and then pushed on toward Texas via Las Cruses, NM. We passed through El Paso at about midnight and around 2 am stopped for a cat nap at a rest stop. We arrived in Plano, TX to visit Boyd's brother yesterday (Wednesday) at about 6 pm. Along the way we stopped in Sweetwater, TX where I was stationed in 1966 and 1967 when I was in the Air Force. Like most places it has really changed in the last 40+ years and there was no sign of the old Air Force Station. The town has a brand new City Hall, a community college and much more. It was a quick stop (about one hour) so it was not much more than a walk down memory lane but I'm glad I did stop.
Tomorrow Boyd and his brother will take off on thier own road trip and I will meander down the road toward Rosharon, TX where my nephew is in prison, just south of Houston. I get a four hour visit with him on Saturday morning and then will head directly for the Orlando area to visit with his mom and stepdad.
More later.

No comments: