Monday, June 20, 2011

Rain - wonderful rain ...

Last year I came to Zihuatanejo to spend the winter away from the rain in the Great North-wet. It was wonderful to be without rain for five whole months (November through March). In April I went back to Oregon and faced the cold, wet, windy weather for a month before returning to Zihuatanejo. All through the month of May the weather just kept getting hotter and there were days when I didn't want to wipe the sweat from my face because it felt like it was melting. I was told that the rain would start on the first day of June and it did. It was a nice gentle rainfall in the early morning hours (3 am) and only lasted for an hour. This happened a few more times and it was always refreshing. The last few days have been a bit different. It has been raining monsoon style and today has been the heaviest I have seen since I was in Malaysia a few years ago. But it is wonderful rain. After many days of sweltering heat it is refreshing. It is washing the streets clean and flowers are in bloom everywhere. Everyone is saying "Enjoy it while you can, the heat will be back soon" and I am sure they are absolutely right.
It took me 40 years to get tired of the weather in Oregon. I hope it takes me that long to get tired of the weather here in beautiful Zihuatanejo.

No comments: