Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Vegan? Me?

When I left Oregon in 2010 in order to spend the winter in Mexico I was suffering from fairly regular bouts with mild indigestion. My hope was that after a while in Mexico, eating more fresh fruits and vegetables, that the problem would be a thing of the past. But after three months I still found the problem haunting me. About the same time I had met Ivone and she told me that she was vegetarian and over the next two months she introduced me to some very tasty dishes. When I returned to Oregon for a month I went back to eating meats and the indigestion started again.
On my return to Zihuatanejo I told Ivone that I was willing to try the vegan lifestyle. It has only been six weeks but I have not had a single episode of indigestion. Ivone is a marvelous cook and yesterday she made a vegan lasagna that was fantastic (with chayote squash, carrots and mushrooms). Today it was cheese stuffed Swiss chard in a savoy tomato sauce (yummmmmmm).
A friend here asked "Doesn't it bother you when you pass by someplace where you can smell the meat cooking?" And I told him that it was interesting that I can enjoy the smell but not fell the need to eat it. I don't have any cravings for meat, fish or poultry. Time will tell if this continues to work for me and I will be blogging more about the change. Vegan? Me? Yup!!!.

No comments: