Sunday, October 5, 2008

What a wonderful day ...

The trailhead ...
Yesterday's storm has passed and the morning is cool, about 57 degrees. After a light breakfast I hiked into town, through the city park to the trailhead of Squaw Trail. The hike was about 3 hours (1.5 miles and 1,000 feet elevation). Along the way there were really neat designs made with loose stones in traditional and non traditional designs. I believe they were the work of the boy scouts who have just finished a project of identification posts along the way that point out unique features, flora and general information.

Looking down on Kanab (west side) not quite all the way to the top.


The scenery was fantastic all the way up and all the way down. When I got to the top I went over the crest to find I had a view of the Grand Staircase - Escalente. WOW!!





The Grand Staircase - Escalente








When I returned I went to the BLM Visitor's Information Center and met Liz Kolle who was extreemly helpful with information and a great listener. Her suggestion that I write a book about following my father's trail was something I had been thinking about for a while but since I'm not a good writer I will leave that up to my darling daughter Jaimee.

I grabbed a quick lunch at Wendy's and then went to the golf course to play 9 holes. The weather was perfect for it (by now in the mid 70's) and the sun was nicely warm. It is a very nice course and the views are wonderful (I should have taken my camera but it would have taken me too long to get through the game).
It looks as though the rain has scoured the haze from the air so tomorrow I will head back to he Grand Canyon south rim. I have been told that I should not attempt the north rim south of Kanab because the road is in real bad shape. Better safe than sorry, I guess.?.
I am not looking forward to leaving Kanab. It is so perfect in so many ways. I will do more checking to see if this is a possibility for my new "home base". Who knows ...


No comments: