Thursday, March 18, 2010

Carlisle, Kentucky, a giant step forward (or backward depending on your line of sight)

I finally made it to Carlisle, KY and within minutes I was knee deep in information about the Walls family. WOW !!! It's one of "those things" that requires a person to get up off the chair and and go "in search of ...". The people here have been most friendly and hospitable as well as helpful.
Going backwards: my dad (DeMarquis Walls)was born in Cleburne, TX, his dad (Edgar Walls) was born in Joplin, MO, his dad (Zachariah Walls) was born here in Nicolas, Co., KY and his father (Thomas Walls) was from Richmond, VA (but I'm not sure of his actual birth place as yet and I'm estimating that it was circa 1770). I hope soon to have his birth information, now that I have broken through the wall.

Along the way I have experienced some pain due to a tooth that I irritated by bighting down on something too hard. This morning I went looking for a dentist but the pain was making it difficult so I went for lunch at a tiny, family diner. As I was preparing to pay my bill the lady at the cash register was talking to a guy and telling him about a tooth she was having trouble with. I asked her if she new a dentist close by and she pointed me in the direction of Dr Branden Allen (just one block away). He was able to see me right away and, would you believe it, he is from Baker City, OREGON !! He checked out my problem, wrote an Rx that will allow me to continue my road trip and I am already feeling much improved. Isn't it funny how that kind of thing works?

Lastly, this area is beautiful, even in these last few days of winter. I have seen photos of what it looks like in the summer and fall and I know that I will return ... someday.

No comments: