Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Carlsbad Caverns



I spent yesterday evening enjoying some hiking around White City (the entrance to Carlsbad Caverns) and this morning I spent in the caverns WOW, it was everything everyone said it would be. Then I took the 10 mile drive through the scenic desert drive. The altitude at the caverns is about 4,600 feet and the valley below is at about 3,200 feet. It was 88 degrees when I hit the road heading north toward Albaquerque. The sun was intense and so was the wind but it was so nice to be out of the cold, wet, windy weather.
The drive up to Albaquerque was mostly into the wind and the highest altitude was right about 7,000 feet. This time, the new(er) van did much better than the old '83. The air conditioning was a plus too.
Where to next? I'm really not sure. I check out the map in the morning and I will either make a decision or just follow my nose. Happy traveling !!!

No comments: