Friday, August 22, 2008

Elkton, Maryland


Why Elkton, Maryland ? That question has bothered me for many years now and here is the story.

Sometime in 1944 a young girl of just 18 years was working at the USO in Washington D.C. where her parents were stationed in the service of the Salvation Army. This sweet young girl was to become my mother. She met a very handsome Army Sargent who was an MP stationed in D.C. This man was to become my father. When he met her it was love at first sight for them both (He had brought in a young man who was down on his luck and needed help getting to his next duty assignment and this he did several times just so he could be with her). Since she was too young to marry they ran off to Elkton, MD where there was no waiting, no blood test and no questions. I have just learned by my visit today that Elkton's history goes back into the 20's and 30's when people from New Jersey would run down to Elkton to get married or divorced quickly and there were many celebrities (movie stars to gangsters) who used Elkton. It was, for me, another very serendipitous moment because I almost left without finding what I was looking for. You see, I have their marriage license with the address of the court house on it. However, sometime after 1944, they re-numbered the streets and I was looking in the wrong place. But one thing led to another and by a happy coincidence I found a man who had lived there all his life(about 75 years) and was able to help me. Sometimes it pays to ask a total stranger a question even if it comes from out in left field somewhere.
So, the mystery of why my mom and dad were married in Elkton has been answered.

No comments: