Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Excitement



I had just crossed into Nebraska and I could see ahead that a storm was brewing ... a big storm. I tuned my XM radio to the weather station and they said to expect hail and strong winds. As I got to the top of the hill there was a rest stop with a perfect view point ... windmill, moon and storm ... Wow!

After getting this shot I continued on I-80 heading right toward the heart of the storm. However the storm was moving away almost as fast as I approached. As the sun went down behind me the lightning show began and it was a duzy. I pulled off at the next exit and drove up a dirt road lined by corn fields and finally found a good vantage point. I grabbed my camera and tripod and climbed up the ladder and onto the platform I had put there for just such an occasion. I took about 30 shots but the lightning was mostly elusive. I did get this one shot before heading back to the highway. Welcome to Nebraska!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thursday 8-14-08. Summer decided to make a return to the Pacific NW. According to KATU "Look for record-breaking high temperatures near or at 100 degrees by 5pm. A strong ridge of high pressure combined with an offshore flow helps our area temperatures spike into the 100-degree range for the next three days. We could possibly see 100 degree temperatures for three days in a row. (This has not happened since August 1981)Tomorrow will be even warmer with highs around 101 to 104. Thought you might want to know what you are missing. Sounds like Old Silverback is running well and you seem to be enjoying your trip. Drive carefully and enjoy your family reunion. ROP