Friday, September 26, 2008

Alpine to El Paso

I am currently straddling two states; Texas and New Mexico. I'm right between El Paso and Las Cruces. The drive from Ft Stockton to Alpine to here was half boring and half breath-taking.
Miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles.

I now understand my fathers fascination with Alpine. The elevation is about 4500 feet and has beautiful hills all around. With the help of Melleta Bell who is theSr. Archivist at the Sul Ross University library I found the old Circle W

It has gone through many changes since the 1950's. It was a shop that sold cactus jelly, then it was an art studio, then it became a residence. It is for sale but I think it would take an awful lot of work to put it into any kind of shape. It was good to go back.
And I did manage to get in 9 holes before I left town.
El Paso is much larger than I thought it would be. At one point on the freeway I was close enough to Mexico to throw a pop can across the border. I will spend the night here and leave early for Santa Fe. I have no idea what to expect from this visit.

No comments: